October in Review

Ah October, the air is finally starting to get cool, playoff baseball is here, and it is one of the more beautiful months where I live so it is a welcome time of the year.

October was a mixed bag month as it is always a slow month for dividends. However big things happened! In summary October had these notable events.

• I started this blog, which you can read my first blog post here
  • I opened up a Robinhood brokerage account

Dividend Income

My dividend income for this month was $78.52, compared to my October 2016 dividend income, which was $50.82. That is 54.5% growth YoY! Even though I just started the blog this month I like to keep incredibly detailed notes of all of my investment transactions, which makes it easy for me to look back at my dividend income last year.

My dividend income for the month from my main brokerage account consisted of the following

• LQD – $0.32
  • ILTB – $25.30
  • MAIN – $5.70
  • CSCO – $32.10
  • RPM – $7.68
  • WDFC – $7.42

That’s a total of $78.52!

I wasn’t able to deposit as much as I wanted to this month, as it was only $200. However, I deposited about $300 into Acorns, and $360 into Robinhood. So that makes up for the small amount I put into my main brokerage.

On the purchases side, there was a decent amount of new activity, at least compared to my norm. That activity was as follows.

Purchases

SNA – 10 Shares (which you can read my post about that purchase here)

MIXT – 105 Shares

LQD – 2 shares

OHI – 20 shares (which you can read about my most recent purchase lot here)

Here were my following sells for the month in order to make new stock purchases

Sells

• HTM – 300 shares
  • ILTB – 34 shares

Through DRIP investing I added the following amounts of shares

• LQD – 0.003 shares
  • ILTB – 0.398 shares
  • MAIN – 0.143 shares
  • CSCO – 0.930 shares
  • RPM – 0.144 shares
  • WDFC – 0.067 shares

As I mentioned earlier I opened up a Robinhood brokerage account. For October I deposited $362 into that account and made purchased the following.

• TAP – 2 share
  • CHD – 4 shares
  • HBI – 4 shares

For Robinhood my Projected Annual Dividend Income (which is Ferdi’s term from Divgro) is $8.72, which is not too shabby for my first month.

As I had just opened this account I received no dividends for the month. Going forward I will continue to deposit small amounts into my Robinhood account each month to help me dollar cost average the few stocks I have in there. I love that Robinhood is commission free, which allows me to dollar cost average effectively. I don’t mind that it lacks a lot of features (especially no DRIP) that most brokerages have. I still use my main brokerage and someday I’ll likely transfer the shares from Robinhood into my main brokerage.

Dividend Increases

• OHI – from $0.64 to $0.65 per share.  That’s a 1.56% increase from last quarter and will add $4.08 to my annual dividend income!
  • RPM – from $0.30 to $0.32 per share.  That’s a 6.6% increase and will add $1.92 to my annual dividend income!

As I go into November I’ll be looking to deposit some more capital and make some more purchases.

So look for a watch list in the next couple of days!

How was your October?  Let me know!

-CD

Categories: Monthly Review

18 Comments

Dividend Daze · November 3, 2017 at 9:36 am

Great month with big growth! Looks like I am about a year behind you then in how many dividends I collected. Nice to have a little friendly competition with portfolios of similar size. Keep up the good work!

Collecting Dividends · November 5, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Hey Dividend Daze,

Thanks for stopping by! It looks more impressive than it really is. A good chunk of my dividend income for October was from ILTB, which is a Bond ETF which pays monthly dividends/distributions. I had parked some money there while waiting for some good investment opportunities. As I had recently sold out of that bond etf and bought some stock in early November that will likely be reflected with lower dividend income for this month.

But I digress, it would be nice to have a friendly competition! Good luck!

-CD

Dividend Portfolio · November 4, 2017 at 2:43 am

Congrats on earning double digit gains on year-to-year growth. CSCO also paid me in October. I like the stock alot. Robinhood is great!!! It’s not my main brokerage account because, as you mentioned, it doesn’t offer DRIPs, but I still plan on transferring small amounts of money into Robinhood to “play” around in the stock market. Keep collecting those dividends CD.

Collecting Dividends · November 5, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Hey Dividend Portfolio,

Thanks for stopping by as well! I definitely agree that I love Cisco too. I was fortunate to buy a couple of years ago when it dipped to the low $20s. It has great potential in the future, especially as they dive into the IoT.

-CD

Dividend Diplomats · November 4, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Woah – talk about a busy month. Where to start haha Congrats on the great dividend increase. 54% is awesome. Second, welcome to the dividend investing community. Looking forward to following your journey and getting to know you more. Cheers!

Bert

Collecting Dividends · November 5, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Hey Bert,

Thanks for stopping by!

I have to admit that the YoY growth is nice, but a large chunk of the growth came from ILTB in the form of a monthly dividend. As I was waiting for more investing opportunities I wanted to park my money where it could grow. Due to the recent drop in NWL I sold out of my ILTB position to buy 90 some odd shares in NWL.

I remember you guys did an analysis on it a couple of weeks ago. Hope you bought some recently on the (major) dip!

-CD

FirstRodney · November 10, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I see you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every month because you’ve
got high quality content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: Boorfe’s tips best
adsense alternative

DivHut · November 12, 2017 at 11:56 pm

Looks like you have been quite busy with selling and buying new stocks. Nice income for the month and an amazing year over year growth rate too. Congrats on building your portfolio and keeping up with it on all accounts from Robinhood to Acorns to your brokerage account.

Collecting Dividends · November 27, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Hey DivHut,

Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I have been quite active. Luckily Acorns is easy to manage as I have it set to automatically deposit $5 from my bank each day. Robinhood is a little more to track, but I like using it for the time being to open up small positions since it is commission free. Once I start making a little more money I will likely go back to my main brokerage.

-CD

alternative to adsense · November 14, 2017 at 7:44 am

Want to monetize your website ? Need best adsesnse alternative?
Just visit my link.

Damn Millennial · November 16, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Massive increase this month good for you, thanks for sharing.

Collecting Dividends · November 27, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Hey Damn Millenial,

Yes this was a great month for me! I do have to admit I didn’t have the bond fund last year though. Either way an improvement compared to last October.

-CD

Melinda Devoe · November 19, 2017 at 3:04 pm

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily. –Zig Ziglar

AldaSmall · November 20, 2017 at 8:50 am

I have checked your blog and i have found some duplicate content, that’s why you
don’t rank high in google, but there is a tool that
can help you to create 100% unique content, search for; Boorfe’s tips unlimited content

Mr. Robot · November 25, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Great results and welcome to the DGI community! I’ll be following you along! We have CISCO paying us both out in October. 🙂

Collecting Dividends · November 27, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Hey Mr. Robot,

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to see you have CISCO too, I love that company. It’s currently one of my oldest stocks, as I have held it for nearly two years now. I was fortunate to buy it around $23!

-CD

RichestManInLondon (@RichestManInLDN) · November 27, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Very nice result in terms of YoY growth.

Here in the UK, we don’t have Robinhood but our equivalent (an app called Freetrade) should be released early 2018.

Keep up the good work with the investing and blogging!

Collecting Dividends · November 27, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Hey Richest,

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you’re excited for a commission free broker. I know I was happy to open up my commission free account. Since I haven’t been working too long my salary is somewhat low, so I like the fact I can efficiently buy small amounts of stock without worrying about commissions destroying my cost basis.

-CD